Friday's cab ride was lovely, despite waking at 5 am - got to see northern lights in the sky the whole way to the airport. Starving, I got Harvey's breakfast sandwiches, and got on the plane. Didn't do too much on the plane - dozed some. Got to Hamilton and didn't buy lunch there. Oh, and since it was Halloween, all the West Jet staff were dressed up in costumes and stuff, it was great. The capitan "dracula" joked as well, and one ground staff member was to the 9's in a disco suit and afro, Saturday Night Fever pointing our way to the right gate.
Got to Ottawa in good time, new airport, confused. Went with family to Place, where had pizza cause I was starving. David got the Robin Black tickets, and we wandered for a bit. Bought some awesome black straight leg pants, much like my beloved old ones that died slightly after X-mas 2 years ago.
At home, unpacked, chatted, then had grilled cheese sandwiches, a tradition at home, before heading out glammed up to the Robin Black show. Drove to the market, got an awesome parking spot right infront of the Keg, and killed some time by having cake at Oh So Good cafe. Went in to the show, the opening act, Pale AD was pretty good. There were kinder eggs and other candy all over - was chocolated out from the cake though. Had one lovely malibu rum and pineapple juice. THEN finally RBIRS came on, with all the energy and audacity they always promisse. Great show, although a bit short. There was confetti bombs but no fireworks or smoke machines. The Bar bitch made one flaming drink, and tons of shots (of which I got one, and chose not to have more). Kids were for the most part well behaved. Robin Black crumpled his paper shot cup and threw it into the audience, yet not quite empty, and as it flew by my head, one drop of booze went right into my eye. Hurt like a son of a bitch. The security guy behind me looked concerned, but as soon as it was okay, I just rocked out some more - that's the danger of going to an RBIRS show!
Left shortly after the concert ended. The dj music was rather lame, and I didn't want to be a groupie. Did buy a t-shirt though, and saw Claudia and Eden from my clubbing days... sigh. I think I also saw Adam, but I didn't feel like doing the whole catch-up thing right then. Other people I saw that I knew where Moshi from my math 1st year class, and Diana from my undergrad psych lab. Got home before midnight. That felt weird.
Saturday slept in a bit, then got all dressed up business-like for the PC party roundtable I was presenting at. Got there before lunch, and was invited to eat with the other delegates. Had chosen a table with some nice people, a couple Senators (the politicians, not the hockey players) and a MP. Was then approached by a staffer who asked if I wanted to sit at the Leader's table. The correct answer is: YES - got up immediately, and was seated 3 people away from Peter MacKay. The table included the leader of the house opposition, the head of the senate, and the president of the party. And MacKay, a VP at TD bank, and a staffer. Everyone was really damn nice! The opening speeches all hit me - they were exactly what I believed - could it be? Am I really a tory at heart? Scary! After much chatting, went up for the buffet. Ran into Joe Clark, so chatted with him about his visit that I help host at the UofA, and this guy we both know really well. So that was good. Got invited to his wife's book launch this Friday - I have no money for a new book, so forget that.
After lunch, did my presentation and took part in some excellent discussion. Got invited to participate the next day, and a gift of a beautiful etched glass beer mug. Pretty swanky! Went home, had some nice home-cooked dinner then dropped my parents off at their dance thing and David and I went to see School of Rock which was quite cute. Picked up my parents, went to sleep again, before midnight!
Sunday woke early, packed, and went off to the second day of meetings. Had more excellent discussion, and I think improved my organization's ties with the other associations that are out there. Got to speak to both the head MP on PSE, and MacKay again. The PC Youth guys were really interested in working with us, which is interesting. Don't know if we can really partner with them, since they are partisan and we aren't, but if they want to link to us on their website, that's cool. MacKay thanked me again for coming and participating. I invited to him to call us if he's even in Edmonton, we'd show him campus and take him to lunch, and he said he'd try to take us up on our offer in mid-to-late November. Then, although I know it's just courtesy, it was still nice, he said that if I was even in Ottawa again, to call and he'd invite me to dinner at "the house". Needless to say, I was quite starstruck. I'll get into this a bit later.
So got back home, had pancakes for brunch, then went back on a plane to home. Nearly missed both my planes and had a small heart attack when I didn't realize that the flight to Calgary had a stop in Saskatoon (which they were refering to as their only destination!). Got in nearly on time, Chris picked me up and we went to Swiss Chalet for dinner - so hungry.
Monday I spent TAing, and checking on the PC party - other than their supporting the stupid motion by the Alliance on banning gay marriage, and the fact that I don't know where their merger with those twats is going, I am thinkging of committing to their party - yes. Scary! Council was a gong show, but good in its way.
Tuesday spent the whole day doing GS stuff and housekeeping. Went with the gang to D46's for a Martrix-a-thon as a primer for tonight's activity - seeing M3. Was supposed to go to diner with my lab mates afterwards, but I don't think I will, especially since I didn't confirm. Likely the gang will make plans impromptu for dinner too.
So that's that. Glam rock and PC presentations. That's my life.
posted by traxis @ 11:20 a.m.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
» Home