And she seems to bring the bad/rainy weather with her too.
Chris and I went to a conference in Banff this weekend - it was for work for the first two days, but really my involvement was restricted to and hour and a half of panel discussion. Remarkably, work paid for 2 nights of hotel, car rental, food, and I also got a $100 GC for the bookstore as an honoraria - it makes no sense.
All my previous student organizations have been dirt-poor, so it seems fivolous to spend so much on these types of things. Anyhow.
On Banff trip was good - we camped the other 2 days we were away - it was cool but still nice. We hiked up Sulphur mountain (5K's - 1 up for every 2 forward!) I didn't think I was going to make it, but I survived! It was about 3/4 of the way there when I felt I couldn't barely move, but then hikers came down the other way saying there were only about 7 switchbacks left with only one really steep one. I couldn't have done it without Chris' patience and encouragement too. We had expensive sandwich and juice at the summit and then took the funicular down with a British couple who were very nice. The ride down was a bit scary - afterall, you are 4 people in a tiny bubble suspended by a cable over the side of a mountain!
The other good story was how we got away from the scary campers - the park wardens figure we are young and are likley there to party, but we truly are not. We got placed in a party-loop at first. We had checked in at 11 am, set up camp, then headed into town to wander through shops etc. When we got back there were new campers across the path from us, who were 4 guys (at first) who proceeded to take out 6 big cases (24's) of beer from their trucks. Other guys came and went, but when they started saying things like "we're going to get so fucking hammered we won't even fucking sleep tonight, so who fucking cares if the fucking ground is hard" (yes, that eloquently) and then pulled out a cordless jigsaw and cut down tree branches - we wanted out of there! We talked to the park warden on duty who suggested we move to the "family" loop - which we did, and were much happier there. The next night however a big huge group of partiers showed up at the loop next to ours, which was not good. They were drunk and loud and crazy before dinner, blasting music and yelling. It was nutz. Any way, we put up with the craziness for a while, the park wardens and the RCMP were obviously notified because it did get a bit quieter around midnight. At around 1 am we heard the following:
(car driving noises)
(screech)
(CRASH)
YOU FUCKING HIT MY TRUCK - I'M GOING TO KILL YOU!
and then fighting noises...
and then no more party noises.
And we slept well with smirks on our faces.
posted by traxis @ 1:32 p.m.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
» Home