Tuesday, January 01, 2002

Happy New Year! Still feeling woozy from last night. Went to Zaphods right at 8 pm when the doors opened. The staff was still decorating the place - butt ugly balloons and streamers, Martha would so NOT approve! My brother was moody the whole time, but I bought him a couple drinks in hopes to mellow him out. Didn't seem to work. At like 9:30 the first band came on, The Sawdogs. They were a COUNTRY band, uhg. Luckily the set only last like 40 minutes. After a short intermission, the next band, The Cobras, came on. Three cute young guys with leather jackets, messy hair and attitude came on the stage. THANK GOD, no more country. These kids played VERY LOUD, very fast, very intense basic punk. I loved it. The drummer kid wisecracked in between the songs "The next song is called 95%, which is about 90% more than we're giving you right now", "Okay next up is Jailbait, it's a song about our girlfriends", "Your patience will be rewarded with mediocrity", and so on. Finished off the (too short) set with whining guitars, windmill-like struming of power chords, and mucho posing. Excellent stuff.
The whole time, we were sitting next to a couple who didn't seem interested in anything at the club at all, didn't really pay attention to the first band, covered their ears for The Cobras' set, and didn't talk with anyone or dance or anything! They had come specifically for the last band, called The Polytones, which kicked pretty good. The girl singer had a really lovely voice, and they had a girl drummer too (she wore a ballgown, don't know how she did it!)
Went up to the bar at about 11:45 to get midnight drinks. Stood there for like 5 minutes, got a free zambucca from some guy. Bought 4 shots of Sourpuss and a hard lemonade, gave 1 of the shots to the drummer of The Cobras who was sitting by the bar, did 1 at that time too. Brought the remaining two shots and my drink to the table, gave 1 to my brother for midnight, slammed the other back, then I was absolutely perfectly buzzing. The band played like 3 more songs, and then the DJ came on. I danced my ass off! Kids at Zaphods used to dance so cool, but last night, not only didn't I recognize a single person, but no one was dancing hard. I think I was the only person dancing hard, which was weird.
Anyhow, my man magnet-ness is still happening. This dude in a puffy jacket kept following me around the dancefloor no matter where I went, and this other guy made like he was going to try grinding or something else yucky. I hate that, I want to dance and that's all I want to do. The only mack daddy thing I did all night was go up to the punk drummer and say "you owe me a kiss for that drink" at which point he gave me a big hug, asked me what my name was (I think I told him my real name), and he said "I'm Teddy" as I went in for my New Year's kiss... bumped teeth royally, so I went in for another which was just horrid. Blah.
By 1 AM my brother was already pissed off and wanting to go home. He told me to go pay up my tab and get ready to go. I totally did not appreciate that. When we went to get our jackets from the coat check, a Weezer song came on, one of his favourite bands, so I said, come on and dance to at least this one song, and he pulled a hissy fit and said "I'm going home, I don't care what you do", and given that we live like 30 minutes drive from Zaphods, and that he had my cash, and that mum and dad would freak if I had stayed back, I had to go. He was a total bitch the whole way to our bus stop, walking several dozen feet ahead of me, and not talking or anything. He's pulled shit like this on me before - when I visited in August, and again didn't have anyone to hang with, he took off on a camping trip with his friends and hung out with them the whole time, leaving me alone. Last x-mast, I visited and wanted to go out, but he asked me to drive him to his friend's house, leaving me all alone all night several times. Bastard. When he came to visit me last May, I had tons of activities planed for him, which he enjoyed, and I made sure to not ditch him.
Anyways, I really had a great time at Zaphods while we were there. When we got to the bus stop, I called Brad's cell to wish them a Happy New Year because it was like 11:45 PM over there. Got to talk to Brad, Liz and Neil, and also Chris who was there with the gang. He was really sweet over the phone and funny - just how I like him. I asked if he missed me, at first he said "yes" but then it was like he was talking about something else, so I said "Hey! You're not paying attention to me!" and he was like "That's not true, I can pay attention to lots of things at the same time" so I asked again and he said "Yes, of course" and said that he'd pick me up again from the airport and asked when I was getting in. I told him I already wrote, so he said he'd go get that e-mail tomorrow, and that he was looking forward to seeing me again, blah blah blah (was very drunk, me, that is).
Parents came to pick us up at around 2 AM from the bus stop and got driven home. Checked e-mail and saw that the report I was awaiting had arrived, so read that (kind of) and then went to sleep. Long day.

posted by traxis @ 11:47 a.m.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

» Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canada

official site

  • official site

  • webjournals

  • hershey's blog
  • goth-esque ottawa '90s
  • island x
  • tales from the mad side
  • neon tetra fishy on crack

  • bloggin' lobbies

  • musings that reveal
  • phendrana driftsl
  • summer's daydreams
  • daveberta
  • walking the four more blocks
  • terra incognita
  • manic meanderings
  • civilization as we knew it
  • studentunion.ca

  • other links

  • treebeard
  • order of the stick


  • Powered by Blogger
    Design by Beccary