I suggested a short list of things that I really wanted to do about 1 month ago to my mum; 1) shopping in Montreal (specifically at Urban Outfitters for panties), 2) Go to Social for dinner, 3) Go see 1 concert at Zaphods.
WELL, this is how my "major" demands panned out: 1) we aren't going through Montreal to get to my relatives, the traffic is too heavy, we can't stop on the way back because my parents have a PARTY to go to, if we were to go to Montreal, it would have to be on a separate trip and my parents would want to stay overnight so they can go to their BALLROOM DANCE CLUB, but that can't even happen because every damn weekend is filled - 22nd is our home x-mas celebration, 30th my mum invited my grandparents to visit and they're going to some ballroom dance thing in hicksville (and I'm left to fend for myself, WITHOUT TRANSPORTATION, when we live in the SUBURBS), and the last weekend, well I'm leaving on the 7th (thank GOD) so there won't be time! ARGHARGHARGH!
Okay, 'demand' #2. My parents have too many plans, and then my relatives are coming over so they DONT HAVE A DATE for going to Social! YOU NEED FUCKING RESERVATIONS THIS TIME OF YEAR! They couldn't even call the place - they couldn't even do that!
Demand #3, guess when the concert is, tomorrow. Guess when my mum decided we should celebrate x-mas, tomorrow. There is no fucking way that I am going to be able to get to the show on time if we're going to open gifts starting at 6, then eat a turkey dinner! We could have celebrated ANY night, but NO, TOMORROW, and I had TOLD HER about this concert like 1.5 months ago!
So, I think, fine. I will make smaller requests; go see Amelie, which is playing here - but my mum wants to come with me and she's too busy and we don't know if we can make it this week (its playing at a revue theatre which only plays 1 movie per night, and its a short-run schedule) and the movie starts at 6:50 which is too early...
Okay, I want to get a book from the Carleton Library which I need for my second year project. Well I need my brother to go since I need his card to get the book. It would be great to take the car as it takes a long time to get there on the bus, but NO, I cannot have the car for the whole night, I need to come back home, and I should consider taking the bus because that's really more efficient except it takes 45 FUCKING MINUTES TO GET THERE AND 45 TO GET BACK!!!!
I want to go home.
My brother gave my mom hell for leaving me all on my own the first night I'm back in town. As soon as he got in, he came to ask what was new, and even watched some of Hedwig with me (given the strangeness of the film, that means a lot to me). Mum and dad get back home from dancing and they're already complaining about each other, and trying to tell us all the gossip about these people I don't know will never know and don't care to know. They don't ask me what's new or what I did. I have to tell THEM that I made sauce and cleanned up. Mum takes over the TV and watches travel shows without asking me what I'd like to watch, do tonight or anyother night. I am relegated to the basement to watch a Sex and the City rerun, and scour at thin air. After my brother bitches out my parents for being such poor hosts, my mum comes down and asks when I want to go see Amelie, but continues on to say we can't go tomorrow (X-mas) nor Sunday (dancing), then we leave Monday and Tuesday, Wednesday's another party... ARGH! I say "forget it" and that I'll go see it in Ottawa. She also mentioned that Dad wanted to take the family to see Lord of the Rings. I say I'm reading the book right now, and would like to wait until I'm done before seeing the movie. "Hurry up" she says. It's a 600-plus page book! "But your cousin who'se 15 read it in French already" YES but it wasn't the original edition that's for sure, and HOW FUCKING LONG DID IT TAKE HIM??? I got 50 pages done in 1 day, and I ...
I am so not happy here. I know I was like this when I used to live here. My brother is still a bitch half the time. I am so mad. And my parents are making plans to visit me for like 1 week with my grandparents, then another week after they leave. THEN they can't wait for me to visit in August when I'm back for a conference (mum keeps thinking that I'll have tons of time to spend at home, she doesn't understand that I'd be here on business and have to go work!) Same for any possibility of coming to Ottawa for GSA stuff. Then there are the plans to visit me in Edmonton next x-mas and us going to Hong Kong for 2 weeks AFTER their week long visit to my home. NO NO NO NO NO.
Oh, and I was just glancing at my previous post - guess what. I'm not in my old bed, I'm in the "guest room" which wasn't ready for me, in fact I was going to have to sleep in the basement (which is horrible - memories of ex-boyfriend) and move out of there when my grandparents come to visit less than a week after I arrive! So I had to go downstairs to the linnen closet to get my pillows, pick my own towel, make my own fucking bed, get my own clotheshangers and I'm cramped in that tiny room with a bunch of my mum's work. THEY KNEW I WAS COMING TO VISIT - THEY'VE KNOWN FOR 2 MONTHS! WHY DIDN'T THEY DO A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G FOR ME????
I am now starting to hate this. I really really really want to go back home.
The only happy things all day were; 1) getting Paula's x-mas gift and getting to talk to her on the phone for about 45 mins, and 2) finding gel pens at a good price. Yes, cheap pens are what is making me happy at this point.
posted by traxis @ 11:57 p.m.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
» Home