This has been the most insane week of my life. Bad news continuously happening.
Worst news of all, a good friend from the past died. Derek was this guy who worked at a cafe a bunch of us used to go to all the time, Sips. He was a waiter there when we first started going, and he was very VERY cute. I was so taken by him that MadSide girl and I devised a plan to get to speak to him. I "accidently" (on purpose) dropped Watership Down, the book in the couches in the back of the cafe, with my name and number written in the cover. Waited a week, then came back. Derek was there that time, READING MY BOOK. The crazy plan worked better than I had ever thought, he started talking with us, getting us free drinks, flirting, and I actually got his number and he asked me out. After much frustration in trying to reach him, and teaching him how to use a phone, we went to see Independance Day at the movies. Nothing much happened that day, it was a nice date - only hot thing was got to see him in a towel as I had shown up "too early" (on time) to pick him up.
We did kiss once - while I was going out with Mike (bad, I know). He was at Zaphods and I was kind of flirting with him I guess. Went to give him a hug or something (was drunk too) while he was sitting on the stage, and he started kissing my neck and stuff. He was a really great kisser. Anyhow, I freaked, and dealt with the whole thing kinda well kinda badly.
Last time I saw him, gosh, must have been when Paula came to visit. We went to Zaphods (this was the summer before I moved to Edmonton - less than 2 years ago?) and on our way out passed him. Chatted for a bit, and got a hug.
Now he's gone. Dead gone. Very very weird.
I was in shock last night when I found out. Adam had written to me and MadSide girl and someone else? I forwarded the e-mail to X, and wrote to Johnny myself. Johnny was a really good friend of mine the last two years I was in Ottawa. We'd go clubbing together and just hang out a lot. He was also my hairdresser (a really good one too), and he left Ottawa about a year ago to go to Greece. Not sure where he is now. Get an e-mail from him every once in a blue moon... think he's okay. Anyhow, had to break him the news that Derek died, he and Derek were roommates and friends for like 2 years I think.
Derek was so nice, sweet, Very cute, and well, kinda not too smart, but it was charming.
I remember lots of things about him:
He had his own name tattoed on his ankle in scripty blue ink
He once put a cappuccino machine dome lid on his head because we told him too.
He always said "Hi" and used our names a lot.
He would be so flirty all the time.
We found out that Princess Diana died from him. MadSide girl and I were at Sips that night, we thought he was joking, it was weird night, very surreal.
One time MadSide girl had a "date" with this weird BBS guy. We had devised a plan to escape if things got bad - we had code words for things being okay or things being bad, they were like "Spanish Coffee" or "Irish Coffee" or something. Derek played along, it was hillarious. Poor BBS guy was so confused.
Derek used to do stupid things to attract our attention when he'd walk by our table, like play with plates, or squeeze the toe of my shoe, ask if he could eat some of our food, or ask if I wanted some of his sandwich.
We'd tip like shit, but he'd still make the stuffed toy monkey clap his hands and dance the macarrena for us.
He was very very frecklely, pale and super skinny - he was self conscious about all those things.
One of his girlfriends was super goth, so he coloured his hair black for her.
He liked the Cocteau twins and lent me his cd one time
oh god this is weird.
posted by traxis @ 9:07 a.m.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
» Home