I am alive and well (and in new pyjamas) in Ottawa. The last, what has it been, two three weeks have been a blur, but now things are calm for a few days then off to Toronto.
We left home on the 12th rushing as per usual to get everything done. There was so much to put away and make sure that things were decently clean for our friend Kit(ten as his GF calls him) when he comes check on the house. We got it all to the airport in plenty of time, using the lovely self-serve machine and all. Then the security slowed things down, but not too much. The flight to TO was fine and rather uneventful. Watched lots of the Family Guy DVD's on Chris' laptop. We got it late because of headwinds and Chris' dad didn't know which gate we were at. He was apparently at the one that Joan Rivers exited by - wierd. Got to his home, had some dinner, then chatted. Gave the dog her x-mas gift which she promptly destroyed (which means that she liked it!).
Next morning woke up to pancakes and x-mas tree searching. That was great, second year in a row now that I've gone with them. Followed by hot chocolate around the fire, the drive back (with the stinky dog) and then decorating and take-away Chinese food. More chatting and lounging then off to bed.
Next morning (the 13th) went to the airport after a light breakfast of oatmeal, and went through security check after security check. Borring. The border guard guy was really snooty to me. Got on the plane (which was delayed a bit) and stared longingly at the lunches that were packed away for the people who were getting on the return flight from Atlanta. Got to ATL in good time, but then my luggage didn't come out. Had to go make a claim and all that crap, but other than a simply over night kit (with no contact lense solution and no giant t-shirt to wear), only had my purse and my high tech gadgets. Had giant burger for lunch and iced tea that was way too sweet. The hotel was a stones' throw from the subway line that goes straight from the airport. Settled in, and then walked around the Georgia Tech campus a bit. Chris sent off his school work, then we had a light greek meal at the gay-est part of town. Had frothy cappucino-type drinks and then off to bed (oh, an the start of my VH1 recurring addiction). My suitcase arived at like midnight, so I had clean undies and all.
On the 14th, Chris had to check in to his conference, so we walked over to the hotel where he though stuff was happening. Nothing was happening yet. We walked around then all the way to the downtown core and a bit into a bad part of town, left there promptly. Had lunch at the Varsity drive through (which also has a dinner) and Chirs went ot the opening talk, while I bumbed around the Barnes and Nobles/Starbucks on the campus. Head back towards the hotel after, relaxed a bit then went to the conference welcome reception. Had a free wine, some snacky food and then we went to this great trendy place for noodles (called "Noodle") which had huge food for just under $9 a plate. Had leftovers which we could take with us cause our room has a minifridge, plates and a microwave.
On the 15th, I went shopping. I slept in, watched VH1, then took the subway to two big shopping centers and some outlet stand-alones. Shopped FOREVER. Bought a lovely orange and fuschia lace bra from Victoria Secret (wanted to buy so much more, but could not justify paying over $18 USD for panties). Had lunch at the California Pizza Kitchen (which wasn't spectacular nor terrible), walked around the Urban Outfitters, Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware and William Sonoma withough buying anything, then headed to the fancier shopping center to check out the Sak's 5th Avenue, Bloomingdales, and Lord and Taylor (or something, where, amongst the $500 shoes I found a lovely pair of ribbony heals for a shocking $10 USD) Also got a cute purse with a "monogramed" "E" on it. Could not afford more 'stuff'. Went to see "Honey" which wasn't spectacular nor terrible (cute stuff but no conflict to speak of really, even in really bad situations everything comes out positively just way way way too easily). Got back on the subway, back to the hotel, and had the leftover noodles for dinner while watching what else but VH1. Chris got back from his conference dinner, where everything was just fantastic, which is great.
The next day I ventured a bit further - went to the Botanical gardens which were lovely - they had a HUGE display of orchids, and some cute poison dart tree frogs which were darling. Went then to the High Museum of Art too where there was a restored bronze statue of David and a very educational exhibit on Whistler and his contemporaries. (pictures may folow). Went back to Georgia Tech campus to meet with Chris and we went to sushi for dinner together. Again, had awfully whipped creamed caps for "desert" then headed to the hotel early.
On the 18th, our last day in Atlanta, we saw everything. We first went to see the CNN headquarters and had a tour of the building. It was kinda educational but mostly rather cheesy - I hate when exhibits deliver you into the gift shop with no choice but to walk right through it. I especially hate that when the tour is already for profit and hthey still do that. We then went to see the Olympic gardens *which were INCREDIBLY pathetic*, and then walked through downtown to the CocaCola museum. The museum part was rather scary, in fact dowright scary because although it was neat to see all the stuff and learn the history (which I got a totally different version of in the Fast Food Nation book), there were a lot of things that were purely comercial and VERY creepy. We did try a bunch of sodas from all over the world - faves included the passion furit and pineapple soda from south america and Ginger Beer from south Africa, but the italian Bitter soda was HIDDEOUS! After fleeing from that gift shop land, we went for good ole' souther BBQ for lunch at Underground Atlanta, a quasi shopping mall, and then walked over to the State Capitol for a lovely FREE tour with a well educated tourguide, and no gift shop. Some city councillors were being sworn in, which we got to see, sort of like the capitol building in action. We then walked and walked and walked until we got to the Grant Park, where the famous Cyclorama is (it's a big huge painting of the civil war and there's forced perspective with some artifacts that are laid at the base of this cylindrical painting - and the little explanation show was really good wiht it too. Saw the General, which is a locomotive that caught up with the Texas, another train that was highjacked by yanks, and then took a bus to get home. Had more lovely southern food for dinner and the meal, (despite a slow and stupid waiter) was fantastic. Got the subway back to the hotel and slouched in front of the TV exhausted.
The 19th in the morning, we got up early, ran over to the Varsity to get Chris a t-shirt, then got back on the subway to go to the airport. Security was much better this time, but still slow. We got to Toronto with no big delays, then had plenty of time for our connection to Ottawa, but the flight from TO to OT was delayed by nearly 2 hours, then was slow getting deiced, etc so we got in at nearly 9 pm instead of our expected 6 pm. Got the luggage, then went home with my parents who picked us up.
On the 20th, hung out mostly around home but did some errands too, chatted with everyone, and in the evening, Chris and I treated my family to dinner out, and then we had the NAC Orchestra Christmas concert to attend, my gift to everyone as part of thier gifts. The show was excellent. I was a bit miffed that my parents still went to another engagement after the show, while David Chris and I went and hung out at a Starbucks. Anyhow, that was that.
On the 21st, had Dim Sum for breakfast, then toured the Parliament building, which I hadn't done in YEARS, then just walked around in the market afterwards for a bit. The weather was pretty terrible, so we came home pretty early. Had dinner then David took Chris and I out to see the Return of the King - got there late, though, so ended up sitting in the first row. Sucked. The show was a good one, I still don't like the Gollum talking to himself bit, and although I know SOME people think it was too long, I think that the amount of time was fine, but that some of the stupid Gollum time could have been spent on Sam and on the Eowyn/Faramir thing. In the book the paths of the dead is very poorly described, I think Gimli or Legolas reports on their passing there in some poem or something, so I was happy to see the movie do things right. Did not have popcorn.
On the 22nd, Chris and I got a ride with my mom to Downtown, where we had lunch at Social (which he really liked, and I LOVE that place), and then went to the museum of Civilization, where first we saw an Imax film on Coral Reefs and then the regular exhibits and then the Dead Sea Scroll exhibit. The actual fragments of scrolls were fantastic to see - some were mear shreads, while others were perfect and almost intact. It's amazing that they are so well preserved. The exhibit also featured other artifacts which provided non-biblical accounts of people and events in Jesus' time. Although I'm no where close of being a praciticing Christian/Catholic myself, I found it really interesting and somehow reasurring? I dunno. Dinner at home and watching "The Italian Job" with the family followed, we'd had several busy days in a row by now.
On the 23rd had to drive Chris to the airport, came back beofre 9 am. Ran one errand with the car, then helped my mom with some sugar-free Christmas Baking (read: made muffins and breads) but also cooked the turkey MY way, which was cool. Opened presents, and everything was a hit. This was so much better than my birthday which was so depresing. Santa was definitely generous. Some highlights included a 256 MB flash card for my camera, some pyjamas (see above) and cute clothes, socks and a few kitchen gadgets. My family all liked their gifts very much, which was great. After dinner, watched my favourite gift, the "My so Called Life" dvd box-set from my brother. Am only about half-way through at this point! Called Chris to make sure he got in okay, and to thank him for his last gift, cocktail napkins with cute embroidery on them.
The 24th, my mom's molar crown came off while having breakfast, so we had to get it put back on by a dentist, the ONLY dentist working in town, all the way in HuntClub. David and I tagged along in hopes of getting out of town immediately after, but things took longer than expected, so we only picked my dad up around 3 pm and were late getting to my grandparents'. Had dinner there at around 7 pm, and chatted, for the most bit, with my all relatives. My two younger cousins, each turning 17 in the next few months brought their SO's - and had them sleep over either at my grandparents' place or at their own home. I find that really young, I dunno - plus my girl cousin is moving in with her boyfriend (and he's like 23) in July... Oh the lessons I could share, but whatever. Got some shopping money from my grandparents, and they liked their gifts from David and I (which I, of course, shopped for).
The 25th, eating continued. Did nothing but eat and sit, and watched some Trading Spaces on tv. Have been reading a book on the history of food. It's good.
The 26th, we were supposed to leave, but because of the snowstorm that started the previous evening, the roads were aparently a "mess". Whatever. Since my relatives were mostly all gone (except my doped up stupid uncle who is useless and demanding and rude) things were okay. My mom was going crazy though, taking over my grandparents' plans to move into a retirement village condo thing. We got to see the place, and it's nice. My mom made the whole experience VERY trying though. My grandparents also offered me my grandmother's tea cup 'set' that she received at her wedding shower from her girlfriends - each one is differnt, and knowing of this tradition, and hopping to do this myself one day (bewarned) I thought of all my relatives, I would likely appreciate the cups the most, so I accepted them. The box is about the size of two shoeboxes and quite light - I should have no major problems bringing them back. Shopped a bit, but we go to the stores a bit late. Still managed to get a lovely wool sweater (dark green) for $20, a blue and a green blouse ($10 each) and a lovely silk blouse from Tristan & Isault/America for $25. Not too bad! More TV watching and eating. Chris called with news of his X-mas celebration, which was great to hear. Can't wait to see him in a few days.
Today we got up really early, and after cereal, packed up the car, and left my grandparents place. For me, this is almost definitely the last time I'll be there. I'm glad they are moving, the house is just too big for jut the two of them, my grandfather has lots of work to do since my grandmother can't see so well and has a terrible memory, and she won't be going around saying how nice he is all the time and how much work he's got to do - it will likely feel much more comfortable and less hassle in the new place.
So today when we got back, went to the Price Club quickly for a few things, then I watched more wonderful "My So Called Life" and had leftovers for dinner. My parents are out dancing, and David who just returned from work is out with his friend for a while, so all is nice and quiet. Wanted to see Carlen tomorrow, but since she's in TO, will maybe call Tom if he wants to go out for a drink tomorrow night at some lounge somewhere. If not, maybe catch a dumb movie with David.
Only a few more days 'till I go to Toronto (the 31st) Not sure what Chris has planned for us to do (its his call), and there are tons of things that I definitely want to do while there - it's for some reason, not like Ottawa, there are specifics that I WANT to do, and definitely feel strongly about it - here, mostly I come to visit with my family, and see a friend or two if I get the chance. Anyhow.
Also, have talked extensively with my parents about the terminal masters. I think I have their support, and although I think this is what I will end up doing, I'm going to wait until I've spoken with the two ladies who's careers have sounded really interesting to me, and contacted a few more deans regarding later readmission, before speaking to the final person, the Grad Chair in my department. When I talk to him, since he's such a hard ass guy, I will definitely have all my softy questions answered, and will only likely be asking him procedural stuff like deadlines and paperwork. It'll be the best way of doing things.
posted by traxis @ 7:11 p.m.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
» Home