My favourite memory will be that he gave David and I this crazy toy - a tangerine-coloured plastic box with a speaker in it. You would push the button and this crazy laugh track came on - it sounded like the most bizzare laugh you'd ever hear and the guy was totally busting a gut laughing. My parents hated it. I though it was great.
My uncle was quite kooky that way - he'd start up very bizzare hobbies - like making rubber stamps, or die-casting miniatures, or one time he even bought a huge old printing press. It was in the basement - I have no idea what he did with it or how he got it.
Anyhow, my grandparent's didn't think too much of him because he'd drink beer with lunch or have a few too many. He was quite unclassy, but he had no pretenses. He was always ready to tell a joke or talk in English with my dad.
I think the saddest thing is that my great-aunt, his wife, is also really sick and in another hospital, so it was likely quite a lonely and sad thing for him, and now for her.
posted by traxis @ 8:56 a.m.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
» Home