Was planning to grocery shopping with Wendy afterwards, but then my cell rang and it was Chris saying that he was sorry that he brushed me off at the bar, realized that he didn't have to practice guitar (duh) and would like to do something with me. So, I asked Wendy if she minded if I ditched her, she said it was okay, so I told Chris to come over. He showed up about 15 minutes later, and we talked and watched cartoons, and I showed him some of my old stuff - "THE BOOKS" from back in High School, some photo albums from my friends, and ROADKILLS! He was quite entertained by all of it. Told him THE MONKEY STORY (when I dropped the monkey in China), and all about high school. Still haven't told him about the Pilon game... Anyhow, we are both VERY strange kids...that's one of the things that really makes us feel a kin to each other.
Anyhow, somehow it was like 2 am, so we went to bed, and kept talking and fooling around till 4:30 am. Finally fell asleep, only to be woken up at 8 am by my mum and dad calling from FLA, they were headed off on another cruise so they wanted to touch base before leaving. They're having a great time, so I'm really happy for them, but my god, 8 am on a Saturday morning is just WRONG!
Went back to bed and woke up at like 10:30 when the phone rang. It was Wendy telling me to get my butt over to school for our provincial representation group meeting. I was so tired because this was the fourth day in a row that I had slept strange hours. Anyhow, Chris told me to get up and go, which I really knew I should, so I was like an hour late, but we got tons done at the meeting anyway. We finished up at around 4 pm, so Wendy Brad and I went to drop Brad off at home, then Wendy and I went grocery shopping. Bought like $80 worth of stuff, a few treats for me - including Gerbera daisies, lots of deli things, and stuff for dinner. Wendy's cart was totally different than mine - mostly pre-made stuff and lots of dairy. Her white bread to my multi-grained roughage bread, her imitation crab to my real crab in tins, her fruits to my veggies and olives, her soy milk to my 12-pack frozen concentrated OJ, and her cookies to my condom purchase. Funny. Went to the liquor store to buy wine and this yummy stuff called Alize Passion Fruit Liqueur (makes great martinis!) Then got home, started cooking right away. Made a lovely meal for Chris and I; salad made of red leaf lettuce, sliced roma tomatoes, slivers of hot calabrese, kalamata olives, parmesan, garlic-blessed olive oil, and balsamic vinegar; pesto-smothered roast pork tenderloin (medalion cut) with garlic mashed potatoes (used my potato ricer! Works beautifully!) and green beans, with a bottle of Baron Phillipe de Rothchild Bordeaux. Forgot to make desert. Would have made the inside of the pie. Will do that another time. Chris loved the meal, was very impressed with my cooking.
We then started to watch The Thin Red Line which I was a little apprehensive about watching. I don't like violence, especially when it's used as entertainment, and when it's deadly, not-fair violence, basically guns and things like that. Martial arts are okay with me, since both people are equipped with the same thing, but war just drives me nuts - it's so futile, and such a waste, I can't comprehend why anyone would put their own people through that, and the mass casualty for land or principles just seems so stupid. Anyhow, Chris kinda knew this, but thought I would be okay with the movie because it is very much anti-war. I agree that it was, but about halfway through, when the American crew takes over a Japanese bunker, I just started crying - it was so brutal, seeing the soldiers shoot at one another, neither party really wanting to be there, not understanding what they were supposed to do or why they were doing it - just knowing they had to kill one another. They'd shoot some, but then not be allowed to punch those who had surrendered - doesn't make sense. The Japanese soldiers in this scene were freaking out, screaming and trying to run away or not get shot - I couldn't handle it. And, my dad has told me that his mother, while she was just a girl in China, had to run away from the Japanese because they had invaded their village, and she had to cary my great great grandmother on her back as she was running away, as her brother was turning around as they ran to shoot his gun at the soldiers, and other bad stuff like that the soldiers would take Chinese babies and spear them on their bayonettes and spin them around till they died. Brutal brutal stuff. But no matter how bad that was, I don't think I felt any kind of comfort at all in the scene in the movie - no "revenge" or "evening out the score" feeling at all, I just felt horror, and absolute sadness for humankind. Chris felt really bad that he had upset me by showing me the movie. I know that it wasn't the movie, but the fact that the movie was accurate and not so much just that, but rather that people would actually do this to one another. I cried for quite a bit, which made me feel a little stupid, but not ashamed. Anyhow, he tried to comfort me and it was really sweet. Oh, he also brought me some potted flowers too which was really really sweet. Anyhow, we also watched some of his old movies from high school - very geeky movies about robotics competitions, and his art camp. It was so endeering. He was very much taken by the fact that I was all excited about the robot competition - cheering on his team's robot. We watched some cartoons instead of the end of the movie and then went to sleep. It was realy nice to spend both Friday and Saturday night with him, and this morning I made breakfast with him this morning, then he did all the dishes for me! Tried to talk with Paula, but she was away, got ready for the kids to come over for D&D. We played for a little while and then are now "watching" the superbowl...Okay, gotta make sure the kids don't get out of hand...
posted by traxis @ 4:39 p.m.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
» Home