After lunch on Thursday brought all my banking stuff to the office and tried to find some money for me to cover my tax debt. It came out okay because I had more than enough money in an account that isn't really going to be used for dozens of years anyways. The money should be transfered by Tuesday morning. Thursday night, made dinner for Chris and we watched the movie which was just great. He brought it back home and I went to bed. We had wine with dinner which made me silly at first then very very tired. Oh, it didin't help that we went jogging for 15 minutes, then worked out, then played racquetball for over an hour. I was beat tired.
Friday I didn't do much school work, Chris and I went looking at a few houses, but none were what we were really looking for. We were disuaded by the bitchy landlord at one and the tinyness of the other. We had lunch at a pub and talked about what we wanted in a house (finally!) and then spent the rest of the afternoon calling around and looking at other places too. We gave up on the walking and decided to continue this later on by car. We then went and ran some errands and then went to see Minority Report at the movie theater, which was good, but not quite what I expected... it was more "BOO!" scary and gross-out and running-sequences than I expected... I really liked the premise of "precrime" cops but the story line wasn't fitted to grand theme of the movie... I dunno. It was still pretty good, and it produced a lot of conversation between us about what was flawed with the system and its limits, etc.
After the movie, we went to a park with Chris' telescope and caught an even better show; we saw tremendous Northern lights, lots of stars, the sun still in the horizon (set but still bright) at 3 am (it doesn't go completely away out here during the summer, we're too much to the north), and then at 3 am, the moon, big and yellow and about at 1/4 full rising from the East. It was marvelous. After all that, I was exhauseted so we went home to sleep.
Until noon. We ran around and did a few more errands then went to the beach down south of Edmonton about 45 minutes where we were supposed to meet Carmen and some other psychology people. We weren't sure which beach on the lake we were supposed to go to so we went to the first one, and although we didn't see them and they didn't see us, the psych kids apparently were there. We played around in the sand (dug this super deep hole in the beach to see it fill up with ground water), the water (yes, my first time in lake water in over 15 years!) and then on the beach (I played catch with a baseball!) before heading back home all sun-tired. We stopped and got groceries then headed over to Chris' where I had a long shower to get the sand off of me, and then made salmon with new potatoes and veggies for supper. We watched Nova from PBS on tape (the "To the Moon" documentary I taped) then went to bed.
This morning, we woke up, ran more errands, had lunch, then went to dance practice at a community center by the French satelite campus of the university. It was good, but I hadn't danced the fox trot or the jive in a long time and I was getting a little frustrated because my brain knew what to do but my feet weren' t following. It was good though to practice some more and get the hang of the Argentinian Tango some more. On our way back to other errands, we saw a house for rent in the area of the community center, so I called and left a message that we'd like to see the house. It was cute and in a nice area of town, a little far from school, but the shuttles that run from the French campus go to main campus (for free!) and there's main bus routes not 5 minutes walk from there. Went, finished the errands, then had supper at the really nice Indian restaurant. I ate TOO MUCH! I am still SO FULL and it's been about 4 hours since we finished dinner! It was sooooooo yummy! Chris liked it too, and since he'd not had much Indian food before (and I love love love it!) it was very happy that he enjoyed it so much. We went back to his apartment to go play with his radio and then watch a movie, but we got a call from the house by the French campus to give us more details about the house and she offered to show it to us this evening.
We got there not 30 minutes later and had a look around. It looks great! The outside is a little decrepit, but a bit of yard work (that I would LOVE to do) will get it up to speed. The insides are all nice and new. There's a laundry room with a new washer and dryer, a kitchen with new cupboards, two fan-lights, and what will be a new fridge and stove. There's a fire-oven thingie in the living room, with a big bay window, a big patio door/window in the eating area of the kitchen, and a "bedroom" on the mainfloor that will be used as an office/guestroom. There's also the bathroom with all new fixtures. There's thick plush carpet everywhere - including the bathroom (!?), and hardwood flooring upstairs in the "loft" which is just one big room, that would easily be split into two rooms (with room seperators - like screens). The basement would be ours as well (Workshop!) and the yard is ours to keep. There's a big parking pad (Chris can work on his car there) and some outdoor storage (for BBQ's and patio furniture, garden tools, lawnmower etc.). All this for (drumroll please) 800$ a month plus utilities.
Yes.
We put in an application right away.
We find out on Tuesday if we get it!
posted by traxis @ 8:25 p.m.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
» Home