Monday, January 24, 2005

So at work, the receptionist isn't talking to me, she's down to grunting in response to questions. She's also not looking at me or cutting into my conversations like she normally does.

She's misreable at work, I have no idea why she bothers. She's tried to go on WCB but apparently that hasn't panned out for her. She's always surfing online, and there is at least one job posting that she prints out for herself every day.

I'm not quite sure what she does other than stuff envelopes (not very well), un-stuff incoming envelopes (also not very well); she sorts faxes (ditto), and also answers the phone and greets incoming clients (to whom she provides vast and boggling misinformation).

She drives me up the wall in that she keeps playing videos and audio clips on her computer, or gets into fights with her 14 year old daughter on the phone. Also, there's the fact that she doesn't even know what our office is called. We are not OSC "Services" we're "SUBSIDY" Riddiculous.

There's alos this thing she has with money - she won't shut up about how much some people make (job postings or friends or worse off, clients) and how she would love more money. Very tacky, and totally irresponsible when it comes to talking about these things about or with the clients.

Anyhow, when she's away sick, on lunches or on days off, I'm the one who takes over the majority of her duties, and I manage to do all her work plus all of mine without the big hassle of complaining or not knowing how to do simple things. She banged on the Xerox machine for a good 10 minutes today slamming drawers open and close and throwing levers up and down trying to get a paper jam out. Or she doesn't understand that instead of blocking all of us from using the printer when she need to make up labels or something, she could easily print onto regular paper and then xerox using the side-loading tray for specialty paper.

I mean, for someone who's been doing this type of work fo 20+ years, you'd think she'd know.

I've worked in offices for 4 summers and then at the GSA for 2 years. I know all about refilling tonner and logging print jobs, how to answer the phone properly, and to actually look at people when you "greet" them at the front office.

I am just so annoyed, and mostly it's because I've become a huge critic of her. I can't help myself from complaining and gossiping about "what she did THIS time" to my co-workers. Not good, I know. But is nearly impossible to resist when the work she does is so bad, and SO constant. Sigh.


In other news it was a lovely 11 degrees above 0 today, walked to the bus home with just my jean jacket on. Had Po'Boy sandwich (with yummy catfish and sweet potato fries) for dinner with Chris. It was nice going out on a weeknight.

Am now just completing the health plan application (so I can get more eczema ointment - $30 per 75 g tube, ouch!) and will get to bed nice and early!

4 more days till Jasper!

posted by traxis @ 10:06 p.m.

2 Comments:

At 7:28 a.m., Blogger X said...

I would be careful about posting the name of the place where you work. You don't want your entries coming up in web searches.

 
At 8:19 a.m., Blogger traxis said...

Hence why I didn't use our office name...

Anyhow, work isn't all bad, today we're making waffles to accompany our meeting! Yay!



And Re: Eczema, the Elocom ointment that I prefer is now available in a non-brand name version, which makes it much more affordable. Regular cream cortizone just makes my skin thin and more suceptible to cracking... the ointment is much more hydrating - FYI.

 

Post a Comment

» Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canada

official site

  • official site

  • webjournals

  • hershey's blog
  • goth-esque ottawa '90s
  • island x
  • tales from the mad side
  • neon tetra fishy on crack

  • bloggin' lobbies

  • musings that reveal
  • phendrana driftsl
  • summer's daydreams
  • daveberta
  • walking the four more blocks
  • terra incognita
  • manic meanderings
  • civilization as we knew it
  • studentunion.ca

  • other links

  • treebeard
  • order of the stick


  • Powered by Blogger
    Design by Beccary